Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pause for Prayer: Our Emergency Vehicles Prayer

 On Friday, I posted about free concerts in our Sensory Diet for Summer Series.  In the post, I suggested that you look around the concert venue to see what things in the vicinity might encourage further sensory-motor exploration.

Well, at a recent concert we attended, we did not have to look far for something that the kids could climb onto, jump off of and get some great heavy work with.  For steps away from the stage area, a shiny fire truck invited children to explore. 

Needless to say, 
even our youngest was eager to wield his muscles to climb aboard:


while big sister and brother role played inside.


Soon, the concert was nearly forgotten
as the kids immersed themselves in all things firefighter.

From gearing up…


to donning masks…


to smiling in arms of safety.



And it is that last thought that brings me to our pause for prayer.

For years now, whenever we hear a siren or see an emergency vehicle whizzing down the road, I have encouraged the kids to pause whatever we are doing to join me in a prayer for whoever is injured, ill or in danger and for the workers that help them.  Our simple prayer usually goes somewhat like this:

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.  Dear God, please help whoever is ill, injured or in need and please help the workers helping them.  Thank you for all your blessings.  Amen.

Nina, in particular, loves our Emergency Vehicles Prayer and has a keen ear for hearing sirens before any of the rest of us do.  In fact, yesterday, when we were driving to a Family Day adventure, she informed us all that she heard a siren, and, before I could even verbalize a prayer, I looked back into the rear view mirror to see her hands folded, head bowed and lips moving in silent petition.  I had no camera handy to memorialize the moment.  And, if I did, I likely would not have wanted to disturb her prayer with a photo anyway.

Instead, as I begin my Sabbath today, I reflect upon my four-year old intently praying for the needs of those she does not know – a picture I will hold in my heart forever.  And, I as I do, I praise God.  It encourages me and makes me feel increasingly blessed in my call as a mother.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails