Saturday, June 10, 2017

Herb Explorations: Lovage-Potato Soup with Fresh Chives



Last month, two of my children and I had fun creating a recipe for Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Dandelion Cookies as we continued to explore wild edibles.  This past week, we shifted gears from wild edibles to herbs when my youngest excitedly cut a large stalk of lovage from our local CSA's herb gardens. 

I had no idea what to do with the leafy lovage stalk he brought home, so after it decorated our kitchen shelf  in a cup of water for half the week, I finally began Googling.  In doing so, I didn't come up with any huge hits, but I did discover that lovage is often paired with potato in soups. So, using ingredients that we had on hand, I got to work creating a recipe that would allow my youngins and me to try this new-to-us herb.


My youngest took tasting our lovage-potato soup quite seriously, and ended up devouring his taster bowl in short order before asking for seconds.


My middle child was a bit more hesitant, giving the new recipe a half-thumbs up after her first bite, but, then, asking for a second bowl.


My oldest wanted nothing to do with the soup, but, after much persuasion, finished his taster bowl of it.

As for me, I happily polished off the rest of the soup, minus one serving, which I set aside for my husband, who ate it later and liked it.

So, with four out of five folks in the house favoring our Lovage-Potato Soup, the recipe is a keeper.  I thought I'd share it in case anyone else is exploring different herbs this spring, too.

Our Lovage-Potato Soup was super simple to make. 

Lovage-Potato Soup


1 onion
1/3-1/2 stalk of lovage (about the size of a big piece of celery)
5 potatoes

4 cups vegetable broth
1 can of coconut milk
1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar

2 garlic cloves
a small handful of lovage leaves
freshly cut chives and their flower for garnish

  1. Cut lovage stalk into small chunks.
  2. Wash and dice potatoes.
  3. Place in pot with 2 cups of vegetable broth, one can of coconut milk, and 1 teaspoon of apple cider.
  4. Crush two garlic cloves and add to pot, along with a handful of shredded lovage leaves.
  5. Bring to a boil and let cook until potatoes and lovage stalks are tender.
  6. Blend soup in a food processor.  It will be thick (almost like runny mashed potatoes).
  7. Pour back in pot and add broth to thin as desired.  (We used two more cups of broth.)
  8. Serve with freshly cut chives as a garnish.

I'd love to hear what you do with lovage.  We'd also be excited with your ideas for chamomile, catnip, sage, mint, lemon balm, sage, rosemary, thyme, and other herbs as we'll be exploring different herbs all spring and summer!  

(In fact, we just finished put together our first batch of chamomile-infused honey tonight and cannot wait to try it when it's ready in a few weeks.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails